Weird Texas laws you didn’t know existed continued!
We previously wrote about Texas’s old Blue Laws and how they are still partially in place today. If you don’t remember or didn’t read it, they explain why we can’t buy cars or liquor on a Sunday. But Texas has many many more weird laws that for one reason or another have continued to be laws. We aren’t sure if they have just been forgotten about or if no one cares to repeal them but either way, they make for an interesting topic of conversation.
We won’t go into depth about all of these but we do want to go ahead and give you ranker.com top 10 weirdest Texas laws.
- 24 hour notice. Criminals must give their victims 24 hours notice, orally or in writing, to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
- Shooting a buffalo. It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
- Selling one’s eye. It is illegal to sell one’s eye.
- Obnoxious odors. Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator.
- Wire cutters. Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.
- Horse in the saloon. You can ride your horse in the saloon.
- Milking cows. It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.
- Landing an airplane. Landing an airplane on the beach is illegal.
- Riding horse without lights. Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights.
- Getting drunk. One needs permission from the director of parks and recreation before getting drunk in any city park.
If you read this whole list, number 10 may have stuck out to you.
Yes, that is correct in the city of Galveston, it is still illegal to get drunk with out permission. Thankfully, this law is not practiced anymore. Or else, everyone in Galveston would be in trouble or currently jailed. Now a days it is completely legal to have a drink with permission from anyone! As long as you are above the legal age and drinking responsibly!
Until next time! Stay weird friends